, , ,

Mould, Left Untreated, Brings Respiratory Infection

Mold, Left Untreated, Brings Respiratory Infection

Often times, most people do not notice mold in their home until it can’t be ignored any longer. That means that some people could have been exposed to dangerous levels of  mold without getting the medical assistance that they need. It is, however, rare for mold to cause permanent problems in people, but it is still imperative to know what a mold-related illness looks like. 

Whether you’re at home, an apartment, office building, or public location, anyone can be affected by mold. Although it is rare, the early symptoms of mold exposure can be dismissed as seasonal allergies, getting a cold, or another everyday illness. These symptoms may include sneezing, eye irritation, and coughing. If you leave mold untreated, it will get worse and could lead to respiratory infections. It is essential to pay attentions to the signs that your body is giving you, and equally important to know the conditions of your surroundings where you may suspect there to be mold. 

Mold isn’t just found indoors – it can be outside too. It’s important to know how you can be exposed to it. You should become familiar with the best practices for minimizing your exposure risk and how to address mold should you come into contact with it. 

You can be exposed to mold in the following locations: 

  • Places prone to extra moisture
  • Doorways
  • Windows
  • Bathrooms
  • Around pipe and roof leaks

Mold can be brought into your house from outside through: 

  • Doors
  • Shoes
  • Pets

What can mold really do to your health?

In 2009, the World Health Organization released their guidelines for indoor air quality.

Some people are more sensitive and susceptible to mold exposure.  Though it can start with nasal congestion, coughing, wheezing and general allergy-like symptoms, those with a weakened immune system or with increased/prolonged exposure can find themselves with conditions like asthma or serious lung infections.

If you think you’ve been exposed to mold and begin to show any of these symptoms, please seek medical attention promptly. This can be as general as over-the-counter allergy medicine or as targeted as prescription medicine specifically ordered to treat an infection. The National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health stresses guidelines for mold and exposure indoors and its effects on those exposed.

You’ve found mould, now what?

Are you consistently checking your house or building for mold? If you can find mold locations before it gets worse, you are able to control it and minimize the damage it could cause to you, your family, and your business. 

If you find mold in your home, you not only need to clean it up immediately! You also need to determine the cause of the mold itself.  Where is the moisture coming from that is creating the mold? Look for leaks, water damage, wet spots, condensation, and other precursors for mold. The issue needs to be resolved so that once the mold is removed, it will not be a recurring issue.

Never try to remove mold yourself unless it’s found in your bathroom, like the mold and mildew found in and around your tub or shower. Instead, call Thomasville Homes Restoration at (410) 360-1075 and let us take care of your mold remediation needs.

Be sure to check out our Facebook Page here.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *